Frequently Asked Questions
- Is First Aid Courses Darwin’s first aid course nationally recognised and accredited?
Yes. First Aid Courses Darwin is operated by Sharon McCulloch trading as FirstAidPro Pty Ltd who is a Nationally Recognised Registered Training Organisation (RTO No. 40407) who provides nationally accredited first aid training that meets the ASQA guidelines for Training and Assessment in Australia. The course content is based on guidelines from the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) and our courses are equivalent to, and is usually exceed comparable courses. Upon successful completion, you are awarded a Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment certification which shows the course name and national codes for the unit/s completed.
- Is Prior Learning from other first aid training providers, regardless of state or territory it was completed in also recognised by FirstAidPro?
Yes. Firstaidpro as an RTO is required to offer students the opportunity to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) toward units of competence or qualification for courses enrolled in. While application for RPL may be done anytime, you are encouraged to do so before start of the training program when you enrol. For more details on Recognition Guidelines and for information on the process of applying for RPL, please read Booking Terms & Conditions.
- Are there age restrictions when taking first aid courses?
Whilst there are some restrictions we believe everyone should have the skills to save a life. At FirstAidPro, children are accepted from as young as 12 years old with a guardian/parent present at all times and 14 years old without a guardian present. Adults of any age may a enrol as long as they are able to physically meet the course practical task requirement to perform CPR for 2 minutes in a kneeling position on the floor.
- How does the new Approved Code of Practice for First Aid in the Workplace effective 10th December 2010 affect my responsibility as an employer?
The Act places responsibility on the employer and self- employed to ensure that any person, not only employees, is safe from injury and risks to health. Therefore, the level of risk in your workplace and type of workplace will determine the number of designated first aid staff members required to be on duty to provide first aid. Designated first aiders will be required to hold a current statement of attainment or will need to obtain a nationally recognized qualification under the new code of practice.
- Does my employer need to train us in first aid?
The Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare Act 1986 sets out the essential aspects of First Aid that employers have to address. Employers have a legal duty to make arrangements to ensure their employees receive immediate attention.
- What if my employer says I need “Apply First Aid HLTFA311A”, “HLTFA301B”, “HLTFA301C”, “LEVEL 2”, “Senior First Aid” or “HLTAID003 Provide First Aid” training. Is “HLTAID011 Provide First Aid” still the correct course for me?
Yes. Previously, the standard workplace approved first aid course was called Apply First Aid, Senior First Aid, or HLTAID003 Provide First Aid. These courses have now been superseded and the national standard is Provide First Aid HLTAID011. Attendance at this course also includes CPR which is code HLTAID009 and Basic Emergency Life Support (BELS) which has the national code HLTAID010.
- What if I work in Child Care or as a Teacher, will HLTAID011 or HLTAID012 be accepted by ACECQA and DECD?
Yes. These courses are suitable for anyone working in schools, long day care, family day care, and preschool and outside of school hours (OOSH) care services. We are a registered training organization (RTO: 40407) and are accredited to deliver this course which is accepted by ACECQA and DECD.
- Is the new Provide First Aid the same as completing Senior First Aid?
Yes. In December 2015 the new National Health Training Package “HLT – Health” was released and HLTAID011 Provide First Aid now replaces Senior First Aid. Each participant is awarded a Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment upon successful completion. This accreditation is current for three years, at which time it must be renewed. The CPR module of the course is current for 12 months and is required to be updated annually.
- Is there also a first aid course for asthma-related cases?
Yes. First aid for asthma is fully covered by completing the HLTAID012 Provide an Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting course.
- Are your CPR courses and Provide First Aid courses the same as Red Cross and St. John’s?
Yes. We deliver the government approved nationally accredited courses in our public setting or we come and deliver to the workplace. We are a registered training organization RTO: 40407 with ASQA and our courses comply with the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) Guidelines relating to the provision of first aid. FirstAidPro is 100% Australian owned and operated and provides quality training, all our trainers are qualified professionals who are supported by our compliance team who ensure the course content is always up to date.
Getting Your First Aid Training Certificates
- When do I receive my first aid certificate?
After successful completion of the course, you will usually receive your Nationally Recognised Training first aid certificate on the same day as your first aid course is completed, in some circumstances this may be the next business day if a weekend course is attended. The certificate comes as a PDF emailed to you, provided your payment for your first aid course and your USI details have been verified and paid prior to course commencement. Should you require a full colour paper copy of your certificate posted to you, you can contact our office and for a fee it will be posted via Australia Post. Read more Certificate Terms & Conditions
- What is a USI and how do I get one?
Your Unique Student Identifier (USI) will contain all your nationally recognised training records and results from January 1 2015 onwards. Think of it like your tax file number or CRN, this is a unique number you are allocated for life and is used to track your training and helps you find evidence of all training you completed since January 1 2015. You need to have a USI for you to be able to enroll in any accredited training course in Australia, including FirstAidPro courses. Ensuring you provide your USI information upon enrolment either over the phone or online will also ensure you receive your certificate on time.Applying for your own USI number is relatively easy to complete, and should only take a few minutes via the Australian Government website. Be aware this process is external to FirstAidPro and is a government mandatory requirement for anyone in Australia attending accredited training – this is not something FirstAidPro staff can complete on your behalf. You can apply for your Unique Student Identifier here. Step by step instructions on how to gain your USI number can be downloaded by clicking HERE or video training HERE.
- How do I get a Wallet Card certificate and reprint for lost or damaged certificates?
Wallet cards are recognised on many work sites, and are a convenient way to carry your certification at all times should you be asked to produce it . Wallet Cards can be purchased on the day of the class, cost is $5 per card. If you decide you require a Printed Certificate, these are also available for an extra $12 which includes postage. We ship our certificates/wallet cards through Australia Post, and this can take up to two weeks due to a number of factors out of our control. These can be purchased in the class or you can phone (08) 8382 4677 to order or email to arrange this.
- How long is my first aid certificate valid?
If you have completed a first aid course in the last few years with Firstaidpro, or another provider, there is a chance it may have now expired. See the course list below to see how long each certification lasts.
- HLTAID011 Provide First Aid
Your Provide First Aid certificate (previously known as Apply First Aid or Senior First Aid) is valid for three (3) years. However, the CPR component needs to be updated annually for you to keep your certification current.
- Comprehensive First Aid – includes Provide First Aid & CPR
Your Comprehensive First Aid certificate is valid for three (3) years. The CPR component must be updated annually.
- HLTAID009 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Your Provide CPR certificate is valid for one (1) year as per Australian Resuscitation Council Guidelines.
- HLTAID010 Provide Basic Emergency Life Support (BELS)
Your BELS certificate is valid for three (3) years.
- HLTWHS005 – Conduct Manual Tasks Safely (Manual Handling)
Your Manual Handling courses includes CPR and BELS. An annual refresher course is required for healthcare workers.
- Student Placement Packages
Student packages consist of CPR, BELS and Manual Handling courses. An annual refresher course is required for healthcare workers.
- HLTAID012 Provide an Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting
Provide an Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting needs to be renewed every three (3) years. Provide CPR should be renewed annually.
If in doubt, check your Certificate
Look for the certificate expiry date which is required to be printed on your certificate. If you have completed a course with FirstAidPro we can verify your expiry date and if it is still current re-issue your certificate for you for a fee of $12 including postage for more information call us on (08) 8382 4677 during normal office hours, or email@example.com.
When, Where & How First Aid Training is Conducted
- When do classes run?
First aid classes run in Darwin regularly on weekdays and on weekends. We can also provide Workplace training at your site or venue anywhere in the NT 7 days a week subject to trainer availability and minimum number requirements of participants and travel costs being met.
- Where are the trainings conducted and is there available parking?
Our Darwin training rooms are located within the Double Tree Hotel (Hilton) at 116 Esplanade Darwin (look for the fountain). This venue was chosen to provide easy access via both public transport and private vehicles. Parking is available in the basement. Take the elevator to Level 5 for the training venue.
- Is there any studying or online assessment required prior to attending my first aid course?
To ensure the integrity of our assessment process, there is no online assessment or prior theory workbook or testing required. All our training courses are competency based, this means there will be a requirement to complete written and progressive assessments will take place throughout the practical course session. To provide a flexible course delivery option to suit busy people we provide a theory-based reading booklet or Learner Guide. This must be studied by the participants prior to the practical session in your own time. We anticipate the pre-learning required may take 4-8 hours depending on a participant’s level of prior knowledge and experience. Studying the Learner Guide will also be required to assist with gaining the underpinning skills and knowledge for the written and progressive assessments provided during the practical session.
- Can I have the first aid course conducted at my workplace?
Yes. On-site first aid training can be conducted at your office and tailored specifically to your workplace requirements. A first aid program can reflect the known and anticipated risks of your specific work site as it includes general instructions, workplace hazards, specific knowledge and skills, and injuries related to your work environment. If required, we are happy to tailor our training materials to suit your workplace requirements.
- What are the necessary room requirements if first aid training is done at my choice venue?
There must be a large, spacious room to accommodate a group and to provide area for simulated scenarios, involving activities such as lying and kneeling on the floor. Ideally we only require a level carpeted floor/ or mats, whiteboard, and suitable comfortable chairs. Ideally heating/cooling, toilet, and kitchen amenities are desirable. We do have a minimum participant number requirement for some of our workplace site training, please call us to discuss further on (08) 8382 4677
- What are the things to bring and clothes to wear for my first aid training course?
On the training day, please bring a copy of your fully paid enrolment invoice, photo identification (drivers licence), USI number if you haven’t already provided it to us, a black pen, and also a notebook is helpful for note taking. Casual and comfortable clothes are also recommended as our practical training activities require lying, bending, and kneeling positions. Please ensure you wear covered footwear to training and keep all personal possessions secure at all times as we cannot be responsible for your personal property.
How To Book & Pay
- How do I enrol in first aid courses? You may directly book online for any of all the available courses from First Aid Courses Darwin Training Calendar which lists the specific course titles with corresponding date schedule, time, location, and price of training. For step-by-step instructions, please read our information on how to make a first aid course booking. If you prefer, you can call our office to book on (08) 8382 4677 during normal business hours.
- May I still undertake first aid training course when I possess special needs? Yes. FirstAidPro is a learner-centred first aid training provider. To assist and support you on your special needs, you may email us your individual concerns when making your course booking at info.firstaidcoursesdarwin.com.au or Contact and Send Us A Message.
- When and how do I make my payment? Fees must be paid immediately upon enrolment either online or over the phone. Our trainers at courses do not have facility to accept payments. All payments may be made through credit card and are secured by EWAY when transacted online. Any payment that is rejected or not received will mean a delay in receiving your certificate as per our guidelines. For more questions and other concerns on bookings and payment options, you may contact First Aid Courses Darwin administration office on (08) 8382 4677.
- How do I go about making booking for group training or course for our employees? Whether on-site or off-site, FirstAidPro can provide group trainings tailored to your workplace and industry requirements. Usually, 1 trainer is assigned for groups with minimum of 4 to maximum of 25 participants. For more on corporate or business group trainings with applied discounts, you may request for a quote or more information from our Corporate Enquiries. For Workplace bookings by prior arrangement we can provide your business with a 14-day trading account and tax invoice or pre-payment is available either by bank deposit or online/phone credit card payment.
- Is there any sort of guarantee with your training? Yes, As an RTO we are bound by ASQA regulations and have refund, appeals and complaints handling policies and procedures in place, copies of these are available from us. If you wish to contest your assessment results we also have a policy and procedure in place to support you to do this. At all times, we strive to be the best First Aid Provider we can be, we understand that sometimes things do not always go to plan, so we provide a money back guarantee that you will be satisfied with the quality of our training. Conditions apply.